Jamaica Celebrates Senior Citizens Week

first_img By Jeneva Gordon, JIS Reporter RelatedPrime Minister Golding Announces Cabinet Changes Jamaica Celebrates Senior Citizens Week Office of the Prime MinisterSeptember 28, 2011 RelatedJamaica Celebrates Senior Citizens Week RelatedJamaica Celebrates Senior Citizens Week FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail KINGSTON — The National Council for Senior Citizens (NCSC) has been observing Senior Citizens Week, September 25 to October 1, under the theme “Seniors Using Their Resourcefulness for Survival”.  The week long activities commenced with a Thanksgiving Service, at the St. Andrew Parish Church on Sunday, September 25. They continued with outreach projects, at the Jamaica Christian Boy’s Home, Kingston, by the St. Andrew Senior Citizens, on Wednesday September 28 and at the Delacree Park Basic School. On Friday (September 30), the Council will focus on educating seniors about acquiring additional income to support their basic needs. The seniors will be engaged in intergenerational activities, such as backyard and containerised gardening on the grounds of the NCSC. The activities will continue with the observance of International Day of Older Persons, on Saturday October 1 (a United Nations designated day), and conclude on Tuesday (October 4), with islandwide parish awards ceremonies. Executive Director of the NCSC, Beverly Hall- Taylor, said that the Council remains committed to sensitizing the public to its work. “What we want to achieve is for more persons to know about the work of the National Council for Senior Citizens, and to come on board and assist us in what we have to do,” she said. Mrs. Hall-Taylor pointed out that acquiring financial support has been a major challenge for the Council, which is funded by The Ministry of Finance, through the Ministry of Labour and Social Security. The Council also receives support from service clubs, churches, the Mona Ageing and Wellness Centre and the Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ). Advertisementslast_img read more

Calgary’s office market is in an absolute freefall. And it’s about to get even worse

first_imgA third of Calgary office space could become vacant by the first quarter of next year thanks to falling oil prices, the coronavirus pandemic, and already troubling supply glut. (Credit: iStock)By early next year, a third of Calgary’s office space might be vacant.It’s an incredible figure when you consider that Calgary already entered the economic slowdown brought on by coronavirus with a supply glut, and now more than 20 percent of office space in the capital of Canada’s energy industry is vacant, according to Bloomberg.Developers delivered millions of square feet in the years following the 2008 financial crisis, but in 2014 the price of oil started dropping and vacancy started to rise, much as it did in Houston. Logistical issues getting oil to U.S. refineries also started to take a toll.ADVERTISEMENTFor example, developer Strategic Group — which put a portion of its portfolio into creditor protection last year — said that since oil prices started falling in mid-2014, the company lost 78 tenants occupying more than half a million square feet of space.“There was the Calgary that everyone was used to: boom, bust, boom,” said Roelof Van Dijk, the director of market analytics for CoStar’s Canadian outfit.CoStar predicts that 33.1 percent of office space could be available by the first quarter of 2021.Net asking rents have already cratered to about $10.60 a foot, less than half of asking rents in Vancouver and Toronto. Four buildings are empty and Brookfield’s two-tower, three-year-old development is still absorbing tenants, so there are few scenarios in which vacancy rates improve.The recent freefall in oil prices could impact real estate in other ways. Oil-rich nations are huge investors in U.S. real estate in particular. A pullback by the sovereign wealth funds of nations like Saudi Arabia, Norway and the United Arab Emirates could leave a lot of would-be sellers without suitors. [Bloomberg]  — Dennis Lynch This content is for subscribers only.Subscribe Nowlast_img read more

Brenny suit comes to trial

first_imgBrenny suit comes to trialThe former Gophers women’s golf coach alleges she was discriminated against. Nate GotliebNovember 13, 2013Jump to CommentsShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare via EmailPrintFormer University of Minnesota women’s golf coach Katie Brenny’s lawsuit against the University of Minnesota Board of Regents came to trial last week, nearly three years after she filed the suit.Brenny sued the regents and former Director of Golf John Harris in January 2011, alleging that Harris kept her from coaching after discovering she was a lesbian.Former University General Counsel Mark Rotenberg disputed the claims after the suit was filed. Rotenberg told the Daily in December 2010 he hoped to settle the case without litigation.The trial started last Monday.Harris offered Brenny the job of associate head coach in August 2010, according to the complaint. The job description listed by the University included the responsibility to “assist in selection, supervision and coaching of the team toward a positive experience and athletic excellence,” according to the complaint.The complaint states that Harris found out about Brenny’s sexual orientation shortly after hiring her and then took away many of her coaching duties, including providing golf instruction to the women’s team. “You have nothing to talk to these girls about,” he said, according to the complaint.Brenny left the program in October 2010 after the University offered to transfer her to a sales position at TCF Bank Stadium, just days after then-athletics director Joel Maturi offered her a severance package, the complaint states.She accepted the severance package later that week, according to the complaint. Brenny rescinded the agreement during the 15-day grace period allowed by the state of Minnesota. The University then indicated it wouldn’t renew her contract and would instead assign her to the sales position.The suit hasn’t gone in Brenny’s favor thus far.The Minnesota Court of Appeals ruled in May 2012 that she couldn’t sue Harris because his actions fell within his duties as a University employee.A judge threw out Brenny’s claims of sexual harassment, gender discrimination and retaliation in December 2012, leaving only the sexual orientation claim.last_img read more

Family genetics study reveals new clues to autism risk

first_imgShare on Twitter A study of 2,377 children with autism, their parents and siblings has revealed novel insights into the genetics of the condition.The findings were reported May 11 in Nature Genetics.By analyzing data from families with one child with autism and one or more children without the condition, the researchers collected new information on how different types of mutations affect autism risk. The genetic data was obtained from exome sequencing, which looks at only the protein-coding portions of the genome. Share Share on Facebook Pinterestcenter_img Email LinkedIn Significant progress in the past five years has been made in identifying the genetic risks for autism, particularly by finding that newly appearing gene mutations can contribute to the risk of autism. These mutations are called de novo because they appear in the child but not in either parent. Not all cases of autism however, can be attributed to de novo mutations.To try to learn what else might confer genetic susceptibility to autism, researchers examined risk from other types of mutations, including those inherited from the mother or father.In the study, the researchers quantified the autism risk of inherited gene mutations that truncate the formation of proteins. They were particularly interested those proteins which are usually unscathed in the study subjects unaffected by autism.The researchers found that the effect was strongest when they observed mutations transmitted from mothers to sons. This observation suggests a female may harbor such mutations without developing autism, but when the mutations are passed along to her male offspring, the boys are at risk of the condition.The study also provides one of the most complete genetic pictures of autism to date. The scientist were able to compare both small mutations of single base-pairs in DNA as well as larger deletions and duplications of the genome.“The ability to examine these two types of genetic variation in exome sequencing data is the first step toward obtaining a more complete genetic picture at an individual level in the context of autism,” noted Niklas Krumm and Tychele Turner, both of the University of Washington Department of Genome Sciences, and lead authors of the study. Evan Eichler, University of Washington professor of genome sciences and a Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator, was the senior and corresponding author.The authors pointed out that understanding the biological pathways affected by the gene mutations, and the abnormal proteins these genes produce, could help in the search for diagnostics and treatments for autism. Such knowledge could eventually lead to the discovery of biomarkers for identifying various types of autism or suggest therapeutic targets for future treatments.“These findings are a major advance in understanding the genes that play a role in autism,” said Raphael Bernier, clinical director of Seattle Children’s Autism Center, associate professor at the University of Washington and one of the researchers in the study. “Knowing more about these genes will set the stage for personalized medicine by allowing for targeted treatments specific to an individual. This gives parents more insight and information about their child’s condition. “last_img read more

Ficas bodyshells lift metro capacity

first_imgON MAY 5 Bombardier Transportation unveiled a car body assembly technique which uses thinner and smoother vehicle sidewalls to increase passenger capacity by up to 10%, reports Geoff Hadwick. Speaking at the UITP World Congress in Madrid, Bombardier Transportation President & Chief Operating Officer Pierre Lortie announced that a three-car trainset built using the Fully Integrated Carbody Assembly System (Ficas) developed at Kalmar will start trial running in Stockholm on June 30 under an agreement with AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik.A Ficas sidewall is formed of two smooth steel outer panels bonded to a rigid foam core. Unlike traditional car bodies which use a steel shell supported by steel cross-members, or welded aluminium extrusions, this approach is more akin to the lightweight monocoque bodies of modern aircraft and sports cars. A typical Ficas sidewall is up to 120mm thinner than a traditional bodyshell. Use of Ficas on the modified Stockholm C20 trainset has resulted in a 210mm increase in interior width, allowing a wider gangway whilst retaining an identical seating arrangement. The 33% increase in aisle width translates into 10% more floor area for standing passengers throughout the 46·5m long three-section articulated unit, without any change in the external dimensions. SL hopes to carry an extra 35 passengers per unit, or 105 in a nine-car train – a 6·5% increase in capacity. The tare weight of the three-car set has also been reduced by 2·6 tonnes, improving energy consumption.Noting that Ficas uses bonding and mechanical fastening as opposed to conventional welding, Bombardier emphasised that ‘minimal investment in new production facilities is required.’ This would also encourage more local assembly. Bomabrdier’s Vice-President, Sales, for metro cars Rauno Boga said he was keen to see Ficas technology applied to the Movia modular product platform currently being used to build new cars for Guangzhou and Bucuresti.last_img read more

Hecklegirth Primary Have a Right Royal Celebration

first_img The Dining Room looking very royal indeedd Girls Willow and Sophie. Boys Theo and Callum The Celebrations start P1/2 and Mrs Lindsay their teachercenter_img Mr Nicholson and HT Mrs Alexander who won a pupil poll who voted to choose which staff were to wear the tiaras The Celebrations start AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInTo mark the Royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle the children of Hecklegirth Primary in Annan celebrated the royal wedding with afternoon tea for lunch on Friday the 18th of May. The kitchen staff organised the entire event and all staff and pupils dressed up for this momentous occasion.Are these the real Royals or could they be the the dinner ladies?last_img read more

Grand Fond Primary captures Mademoiselle Francophone 2016 title

first_img Share Jeanelle Phillip, 9, of the Grand Fond Primary School, who competed against five other primary school students in the 2016 Mademoiselle Francophone pageant, has captured the title.Phillip, who represented Ghana, one of the Francophone member states, participated in the pageant held at the Arawak House of Culture in Roseau on Saturday 19 March 2016.She copped all four awards; Best French Oral Presentation, Best Talent, Best French Fashion Wear, and Best Francophone wear in the judged rounds of the competition.Miss Mademoiselle Francophone 2016 was crowned and escorted to her throne by Jeraine Joseph of the Goodwill Primary School who won the 2015 title.“I feel excited…I didn’t know I was going to win,” Phillip told the media after the results were announced. She thanked her parents and teachers for assisting her to prepare for the pageant.Among her prizes were a tablet and smartphone compliments FLOW, two tickets compliments L’ Express Des Iles, gift bag compliments Fruits & Flowers and Quenchi, lunch for two at the Fort Young Hotel, a whale watching trip compliments Anchorage Hotel, $150 compliments Big Edge Financial Express, gift certificate compliments Save-A-Lot, accessories compliments Beautywise and two days and one night stayover for two compliments Caprice Guest House among other prizes. Leilanie Leslie of the Massacre Primary School, who represented Togo (a Francophone member state), emerged first runner up. Among her prizes were a tablet compliments Digicel Dominica, one ticket compliments L’ Express Des Iles, $100 from Big Edge Financial, lunch for two compliments Garraway Hotel, gift certificate compliments Urban Garden and accessories compliments Beautywise. Simone Moses of the Morne Jaune Primary School who represented Monaco, copped the second runner up position. She received a tablet compliments Digicel, one ticket from L’ Express Des Iles, packages from Choices and FLOW, and $75 from Dominica Social Security, accessories from Beautywise and lunch for two compliments the Anchorage Hotel.Malicia Francis of the San Sauveur Primary School, who represented Mozambique (an observer state), was awarded Miss French Personality, while Adessah Hodge of the Wotten Waven Primary School who represented Djibouti, was awarded Miss Francophone Spirit. These two awards were not judged.The other competitor was Jadian Eustache of the Castle Bruce Primary School represented Suisse.All competitors were presented with a participation trophy and gift bags compliments Beautywise, Choices & Brighter Days, Fine Foods Inc, FLOW, Quenchi and the Ministry of Education.– / 143 EducationEntertainmentLocalNewsPrimary Grand Fond Primary captures Mademoiselle Francophone 2016 title by: Dominica Vibes News – March 21, 2016 Sharing is caring! 430 Views   no discussionscenter_img Share Tweet Sharelast_img read more

Antonio Brown’s former doctor recalls first meeting: ‘This man is farting in my face’

first_imgMore details of Antonio Brown’s shady past were revealed in a recent article by Sports Illustrated. Just read the opening paragraph of SI’s story: “Accusations range from a previously untold account of sexual misconduct, a charity auction theft, multiple domestic incidents, and a long list of unpaid debts.”One of the people interviewed in that story is Dr. Victor Prisk. He took an initial meeting with Brown in August 2018 and says the receiver was three hours late to his appointment. Then, once Brown arrived, he proceeded to fart several times while Prisk was testing Brown’s body fat. “It seemed just childish to me,” Prisk told SI. “I’m a doctor and this man is farting in my face.”MORE: What to know about Antonio Brown’s lawsuitWe know these just aren’t allegations, either. Brown actually posted the video to his Instagram StoriesHe can be heard farting early in the video, and apologizes right after. He does it again later in the video as well.Despite the flatulence, Prisk still decided to work with Brown as a “wellness coach,” he told SI. But Prisk quickly discovered Brown hadn’t been fully truthful with him, and the two ended up parting ways. Prisk filed a lawsuit in Pennsylvania seeking $11,500 in unpaid wages from Brown. The suit is still pending.“In his very first meeting with me he said, ‘I want to get you on salary, I want you on my team,’” Prisk told SI. “Then he’s like, ‘We need to build this downtown. POW 2!’ I’m like, O.K., that’s cool. Found a building, had somebody put together a sales agreement for the building. Don’t hear anything back. Then he says, ‘I’m going to connect you with a treadmill company I work with. We’re gonna get you a couple treadmills for your gym.’ AB stops talking to that guy and then I’m told they’re not giving me a treadmill. …”He tells you he’s going to make it totally worth your while. He’s gonna invest in your business, invest in you. You’re part of my family. Call God and all that. But he doesn’t do that, and he doesn’t even pay the bill.”The Sports Illustrated article also tells the story of an artist who accuses Brown of sexual misconduct. According to SI, Brown met the artist at a softball game. She had made a portrait of Brown, which the receiver liked. Brown invited her to his home to make another painting of him. According to the artist, Brown was flirtatious with her before escalating things. From SI:The artist says at one point she was in a kneeling position while painting and turned to find Brown behind her, naked, holding a small hand towel over his genitals. “He was flirty with me but I paid him no mind because I was there on business, plus, I had already seen him with multiple girls in the short time I was with him,” says the woman. “I was about 40% done on the second day, and I’m on my knees painting the bottom, and he walks up to me butt-ass naked, with a hand cloth covering his [penis] and starts having a conversation with me.” She took it as a clear sexual come-on. “Unfortunately, I’ve been tried [by men] a lot of times, so I just kept my cool and kept painting,” she says. “After that, it all ended abruptly.”This accusation follows another allegation from one of Brown’s former trainers, Britney Taylor. In a lawsuit, Taylor alleges Brown sexually assaulted her on three occasions in 2017 and 2018, with the third incident escalating to rape. Brown was allowed to play for the Patriots in his first game on Sunday.The NFL reportedly was scheduled to meet with Taylor on Monday to discuss those allegations.last_img read more