US Senators Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont), US Representative Peter Welch (D-Vermont), and Governor Peter Shumlin (D-Vermont) announced Friday that the US Department of Transportation is releasing $1 million from the Federal Highway Administration’s Emergency Relief (ER) Program to repair roads and bridges damaged in a series of strong storms that struck Vermont earlier this year. US Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx called members of the Vermont congressional delegation this morning with the news. In a joint statement Leahy, Sanders, Welch and Shumlin said: ‘This is a much-needed infusion of federal funds to help towns throughout Vermont repair roads washed out by several storms this year. We appreciate Secretary Foxx and the US Department of Transportation for responding so promptly to Vermont’s urgent request.’ Beginning in May and continuing into July, a succession of storms brought heavy rainfall and flash flooding that resulted in numerous road closures throughout Vermont. Some 30 separate road segments, of both state and local roads, were closed due to damage from the storms. In particular, a shoulder section of I-89 southbound in Williston was damaged, causing the closure of one lane and leading to severe backups. A section of Manhattan Drive in the City of Burlington was washed out, and a section of Vermont Route 15 in the Town of Essex experienced slope failure. The following counties were affected by these storms: Caledonia, Chittenden, Essex, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, and Windsor. The federal ER program provides funds for the repair or reconstruction of federal-aid roads and bridges damaged by natural disasters or catastrophic events. These funds are awarded to a state after the president or a governor issues a formal emergency declaration and the state files a request for ER help for the cost of damages to its eligible highways. Eligible repair work includes emergency repairs needed to restore essential traffic, to minimize the extent of damage, or to protect the remaining facilities, as well as permanent repairs necessary to restore the highway to its pre-disaster condition. Also on Friday, Leahy, Sanders and Welch wrote to President Obama, supporting Governor Shumlin’s request for disaster assistance for flood damage sustained during the period of June 25 through July 11. Their letter is posted on the Leahy, Sanders and Welch websites.WASHINGTON (FRIDAY, July 26, 2013) ‘Vermont congressional delegation
Vitamin D tied to lower respiratory illness rate in older patientsHigh doses of vitamin D were associated with a reduced incidence of acute respiratory illness (ARI) by 40% in elderly, long-term–care residents, according to a study today in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.In the first clinical trial to study vitamin D’s impact in a nursing home population, researchers looked at 107 residents in Colorado long-term care facilities over the course of 1 year. The patients were all 60 years and older, with an average age of 84. Although ARI was the primary outcome measured, the scientists also tracked falls and fractures, hypercalcemia, and kidney stones as secondary outcomes.Fifty-five residents received high doses of vitamin D—100,000 units monthly (3,300 to 4,300 units daily)—and 52 received standard doses (400 to 1,000 units per day). Those with higher doses saw ARIs cut 40%, but those patients also fell more compared with the residents who received lower doses of vitamin D. The other secondary outcomes did not vary between the two groups.The authors of the study said the next step would be reproducing the results in a confirmatory trial and further exploring the risk of falls. But the study results are encouraging for clinicians who have little recourse over viral ARI, especially influenza and bronchitis, which are some of the leading causes of morbidity among older adult populations who live in nursing homes, they added.Nov 16 Jour Am Ger Soc studyNov 16 University of Colorado press release Burkholderia cepacia outbreak from saline syringes sickens 149 in 5 statesA multistate Burkholderia cepacia bloodstream infection outbreak linked to contaminated prefilled saline flushes has now sickened 149 people in five states, according to a Nov 9 update from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).Most of the infections have occurred in patients in 58 nursing home or rehabilitation facilities. Six deaths have been reported among the patients, though it’s not clear if they were cause by B cepacia infection or other underlying health condition.The saline flush syringes, used for patients receiving intravenous fluids or antibiotics through central venous catheters, investigated as the source of the bacteria, were made by Nurse Assist, based in Haltom City, Tex. On Oct 4 the company recalled its products.Affected states are Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. The CDC has urged local and state health authorities to report any B cepacia bloodstream infections in patients treated in facilities that used the products and whose symptoms began after Aug 1.B cepacia is resistant to many common antibiotics, and the same bacterium was implicated in a healthcare-related outbreak over the summer linked to the liquid stool softener docusate.Nov 9 CDC outbreak update
The documentation closing times are similar to other advance manifest 24 Hour Rules in place in markets such as the US,Canada, EU or Mexico.ENS transmission must be carried out no later than 24 hours prior to start of the loading of vessels, from a non-Turkish load port, which are bound for a Turkish port. Ports in the Black Sea and Mediterranean for the purpose of ENS transmission will be treated as short sea, for which ENS must be submitted two hours prior to the vessel’s arrival.Ocean carriers will be responsible for timely submission of the ENS-based on the information supplied by customers and are likely to impose fees to cover these charges.ENS is applicable from any country and there has been no transition period before implementation.In the January/February issue of HLPFI magazine, we are carrying a Turkish market report.
Production levels dropped to 25 percent while talks broke down on how to settle a dispute over USD1.6 billion in cost overrun, and the ambitious Panama Canal expansion project has now ground to a halt.The GUPC threatened to stop works in January, but the two parties opted for continued discussion.However, no agreement has been reached and although the ACP has demanded that the GUPC resume work on the project as required by the contract, the consortium continues to seek an appropriate solution.The break in negotiations puts the expansion project and up to 10,000 jobs at immediate risk, and without an immediate resolution the ACP faces years of disputes and potential project failure, along with huge cost overruns.The project is currently more than 70 percent complete and the lock gates are to be delivered this year, but an additional USD1.6 billion of funding is required to reach completion.According to canal officials, other foreign contractors and project managers have expressed an interest in completing the remaining 30 percent of work that remains on the third canal lock, but the administrator of the ACP, Jorge Quijano, has insisted that under no circumstances will the 2015 construction deadline be pushed back.The project, which is already running nine months late, would double the capacity of the 80 km canal, which already carries 5 – 6 percent of world commerce.”We’re going to finish the canal whether it rains, thunders, or there’s lightning,” declared the country’s president, Ricardo Martinelli. www.pancanal.comwww.gupc.com/pa