League 1 wrap: Pars held by Albion, Ayr thump ten-man Stenhousemuir

first_imgDunfermline were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Albion but moved 11 points clear at the top of League One. Darren Petrie twice fired wide for Albion in the early stages, while Shaun Byrne had Dunfermline’s first noteworthy chance but Ross Stewart saved. Ben Richards-Everton headed over the crossbar for the table-toppers and Stewart pushed a Rhys McCabe shot out for a corner. The deadlock was broken in the 75th minute when a corner was cleared to Ryan Wallace on the edge of the box and he drilled a low shot into the bottom corner.  Barclay pulled off a superb stop to tip over a Paddy Boyle free-kick midway through the half as Ayr pushed forward. Alan Forrest had come close to the opening goal shortly before Ayr took a 65th-minute lead. A free-kick from Ryan Stevenson was parried by Barclay and Craig Moore was on hand to slot in the rebound. Their joy was short-lived as the visitors were soon level. Jason Scotland brought a fine save from Fleming from a free-kick, but there was nothing the goalkeeper could do from the following corner as Jamie McCormack powered home a header. Stenhousemuir were reduced to 10 men when Alan Cook was sent off for a second bookable offence and that proved costly as Ayr took the lead through Stuart Malcolm’s own goal. It was 3-1 six minutes from time as Stevenson let fly with a stunning shot into the top corner and Alan Trouten completed a comfortable win with a neat finish to some fine build-up play.Nicky Cadden’s second-half equaliser secured a 1-1 draw for Airdrie and denied Forfar a vital victory in their bid to avoid relegation from Ladbrokes League One. Cadden, Jim Lister and Marc Fitzpatrick all missed early chances and the hosts were soon made to pay. Forfar, now just two points adrift of safety, had threatened themselves and Omar Kader opened the scoring eight minutes before the break with a well-taken right-footed shot. Cadden, though, equalised on the hour mark with a left-footed effort which flew into the top corner. Lister almost gave the Diamonds the lead moments later but saw his header saved by Darren Hill while Forfar’s Danny Denholm missed two chances to steal the points late on. Dunfermline’s lead lasted just two minutes as Ross Davidson equalised, getting the last touch on a free-kick into the area. The home side dominated the closing stages but could not find a winner.Ayr moved level on points with second-placed Peterhead with a thumping 4-1 win against 10-man Stenhousemuir. Both sides had decent early chances, with Stenhousemuir goalkeeper Jamie Barclay parrying a Craig Moore shot to safety, while at the other end Colin McMenamin’s effort was blocked by Greg Fleming. last_img read more