CARDINIA BEACONHILLS GOLF THE first round of the Brian Balcombe Match Play event was played on Saturday at Cardinia Beaconhills…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By Hayley Wildes In BigV action, the Pakenham Warriors’ strong form continued in their three respective divisions. The Division 2…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By Aneeka Simonis POLICE have charged two men with sexual assault, kidnapping and extortion following a drug investigation in Berwick….[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
Ryan Giggs admitted that his Wales team were beaten by a Denmark side that “get the job done” in their Nations League clash.Wales missed out on promotion to the top tier of the Nations League as Denmark won a passionate contest 2-1 at Cardiff City Stadium.Nicolai Jorgensen gave Denmark a half-time lead and Martin Braithwaite’s superb volley two minutes from time doubled their advantage to seemingly end Welsh hopes.But Gareth Bale’s instant response as he slid home his 31st international goal after rounding Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, had the visitors hanging on at the end.“You are always disappointed when you lose, obviously, but I am proud of the players, I am proud of the performances they put in in two games against a very good team,” said Wales manager Giggs, whose team lost 2-0 to Denmark in September.“You saw tonight that Denmark are efficient, experienced and disciplined and get the job done, and we can learn from that.“Also, in both games we were more than a match for them. We are disappointed, but I told them they should be proud of themselves.“You can learn maybe more from defeats, and we will certainly do that. All the experience these players have had will stand them in good stead going into the Euro qualifiers (next year).”Giggs, meanwhile, said he felt that Ethan Ampadu had been the victim of “a cheap shot” following a poor high challenge by Kasper Dolberg.It saw Ampadu hit the advertising boards before it sparked a melee and prompted Giggs to voice his feelings to Denmark boss Age Hareide.“I just thought it was a cheap shot,” Giggs added. “You have got a lad just turned 18 who broke his leg when he was 17. It was a late tackle.“I realise we are not playing tiddlywinks. It is a competitive game, and there are going to be tackles, which is part of the game and I like that.“But for a young lad who has been injured badly recently, it was a cheap shot. That’s why I reacted, and I was proud of the players how they reacted, protecting a young player, which is how it should be.“It shows that they care and shows they are not going to be bullied, and I like that in a team.”Wales now travel to Tirana to face Albania in a friendly on Tuesday, with Paul Dummett and James Chester unlikely to recover from injuries that forced them off.Defender Chris Gunter, meanwhile, is set to break Neville Southall’s all-time Wales cap record when he makes his 93rd appearance.Denmark are also guaranteed a play-off to qualify for Euro 2020, should they fail to reach the tournament during the regular qualifying process, while a youthful Wales side should be better for this experience when the qualifiers start in March.Asked about Dolberg’s challenge, Hareide said: “If you knew him, he is one of the nicest kids you could ever think of. He wouldn’t harm a fly.“The boards were too close to the line. It wasn’t the knock from Dolberg, it was the boards that put him (Ampadu) to the ground.“Throughout 2018 we have been very, very stable with our performances, and we were very good today. It is a good hard-working side.“The players deserve a lot of credit for putting Denmark as high as possible in the world rankings.“This Welsh side is a very promising side. We have watched them a lot, and they have so many talented young players. They are good on the ball.“They have so much to look forward to, and I think they will have a really good European qualification.”
It was a good opening session for Jamaican athletes at the 10th IAAF World Under 18 Championships in Nairobi, Kenya, as four of five athletes involved advanced to the next round of the competition in their respective events. Tyreke Wilson, who was the first Jamaican in action, won his heat in the boys 100m in 10.60 seconds, the sixth fastest time overall as he comfortably moved into the semi-finals, which take place later on Wednesday morning (Jamaica time). Shaquena Foote (56.18) was second in her heat of the girl’s 400m and seventh overall in her progression to the semis. Anthony Cox with a personal best 46.53 seconds and Antonio Watson, 47.22 seconds, won their heats of the boys 400m to be the fastest two moving forward to the semis of the event. The second session will get underway at 8:55 a.m. (Jamaica time). Thrower, Kimone Reid with a best of 40.84, in the girls discus failed to advance after finishing 15th overall in the qualifying round. Six Jamaicans are down to compete when the second session of competition gets going. Wilson will be the first as he will compete in the third semi-final of the boys 100m at 9:14 a.m and will run out of lane three. Safin Wills in Group A and Owayne Owens in Group B will both feature in the preliminary round of the boys triple jump competition that starts at 9:25 a.m. At 9:40 a.m, Tyrese Reid will run out of lane eight in heat 1 of the boys 800m with Kimar Farquharson facing the starter in the second heat. Kevona Davis will line up in the girls 100m heats, which gets started at 10:45 a.m.
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
By Denise Nix STAFF WRITER A 19-year-old man who allegedly carjacked a woman outside the Target store in Redondo Beach was arrested a few minutes later in Torrance, police said Friday. Alexander Saveleyv is accused of approaching the 22-year-old Gardena woman’s 2006 Ford Explorer about 8:30p.m. Thursday just after she got inside, according to Redondo Beach police Sgt. Phil Keenan. He opened her door, pointed a hand gun at her and ordered her to leave the car, Keenan said. Saveleyv allegedly told the unidentified woman: “Don’t worry, I’m not going to hurt you if you do what I say,” according to Keenan. Then the carjacker told her to get out of the car and run in the opposite direction. He left the parking lot in the 1600 block of Kingsdale Avenue and headed south. Torrance officers spotted him driving the woman’s vehicle southbound on Hawthorne Boulevard near Del Amo Boulevard, Keenan said. The officers pulled him over without incident, and he was arrested. Inside the car, officers found a gun and a beanie, Keenan added. The woman identified Saveleyv as the carjacker, and he was taken to the Redondo Beach jail, where he is being held on $100,000 bail. Saveleyv told officers he was a Russian citizen, but gave an address to a residence in the San Fernando Valley, Keenan said. He will likely face charges of carjacking and using a gun, Keenan said. If he is not a U.S. citizen, he would face deportation if convicted. email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
1 Denmark ace Mikkel Duelund (R) Danish ace Mikkel Duelund has revealed he rejected the chance to move to the Premier League last summer, with Liverpool the club understood to be chasing his signature.The FC Midtjylland forward is already a full international at the tender age of 18 and has been raising eyebrows of clubs across Europe with his displays in the past 18 months.Liverpool are still understood to be keen on landing Duelund but the starlet insists he is happy to stay in Denmark for the foreseeable future.He told Exstra Bladet: “What club it was does not matter. But when you are told that there is interest from a relatively big club, you cannot help but respond to it.“I was always aware that I should continue at Midtjylland. So the decision itself did not take long to make.”Duelund has scored four goals in 12 appearances this season and is expected to line up against Manchester United in the Europa League later this month.
It has to be a great solace for the down-and-out to know they’re no longer homeless, they’re … outdoorsmen! But this is L.A., and you can’t have a dumb government action without discovering it was done willfully and with punitive intent. The outrage cherry atop the stupid sundae comes courtesy of Perry, who wouldn’t sign off on the settlement unless the right to “camp” applied to the entire city, not just her district, which includes Skid Row. Perry wants to spread the pain and actually convinced her colleagues to go along with this craziness. So when you discover panhandlers sacked out in front of your home, squatting with the Sunday crossword puzzle in your pachysandra, give a big “attaboy” to Greig Smith, Dennis Zine, Wendy Gruel, Tom LaBonge, et al. This is the kind of outside-the-refrigerator-box thinking we’ve come to expect from City Hall. There are as many reasons for homelessness as there are homeless people. Everyone on the street got there on a different path. There are common traits: booze, drugs, mental illness and abuse. But the sad truth is, in a nation of 300 million-plus, some people go feral. We increase homelessness by accommodating it. Even San Francisco is feeling the backlash against the libertine attitude of their Board of Nitwits who turned the “City by the Bay” into Flopsylvania. It’s labor-intensive to reclaim a single lost life. It’s a good fight, an honorable fight, and we should help the folks at the Midnight Mission and others who are doing God’s work. But the answer to homelessness won’t come by pretending they’re, “just like you and I.” That we’re all “just one paycheck away.” The homeless are very different from you and I. They’re alienated not only from their families and friends, but from every other human relationship. What city, county, state or federal program is going to undo that damage? Rebuilding Arrowhead or post-Katrina New Orleans is a lay-up compared to picking up the wreckage of a single human being. L.A. won’t be shocked into caring by exporting homelessness from Skid Row to Sherman Oaks. It is not the role of government to deliberately lower quality of life for the functional, even if you think you’re helping the dysfunctional. This settlement doesn’t help anybody. The ACLU says we can enforce vagrancy laws if we pony up 1,250 units of low-cost housing. This is the same failed policy we’ve followed for four decades – it’s a guilt tax. Nobody has the guts to do what really works – a massive expansion of mental health facilities, exponential increases in drug and alcohol programs, and an aggressive police policy like the one LAPD Chief Bratton had been using in Skid Row. Arrest vagrants until they seek help or take their act someplace else. L.A. is not a public toilet. Ventura Boulevard is not Will Rogers State Park. The homeless are not urban campers. The sidewalks shouldn’t be a bed-and-breakfast, and the truth should not be negotiable. Sadly, in Los Angeles, it often is. Are homeowners required to leave a mint on the sidewalk? Doug McIntyre hosts the “McIntyre in the Morning” program on Talk Radio 790 KABC, weekdays from 5 to 9 a.m.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! IT’S time once again to break out our Politician-to-English dictionaries, because the Statesmen of Spring Street have done it again – boldly taking language where even George Orwell dared not tread. The latest assault on sanity is Los Angeles City Councilwoman Jan Perry’s negotiation with Ramona Ripston and the American Civil Liberties Union over Skid Row sidewalk encampments. While the entire issue has devolved into a Rubik’s Cube of nuttiness, the L.A. Language Police have put a chokehold on English by redefining the homeless as “urban campers.” And where are the campsites? Right in front of your home. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.That’s right, your city elders actually negotiated the right for the homeless to sleep anywhere in the city. Anywhere! Skid Row, Hancock Park, Encino, Woodland Hills, Mount Washington, maybe even right on the sidewalk at 1616 Beverly Blvd., the L.A. headquarters for the ACLU. In its infinite wisdom, the City Council has legalized vagrancy, torpedoed quality of life, created a public health hazard and once again punished the citizens of the city because council members don’t have any answers. So what do they do? They rewrite the English language. Presto! The homeless are now campers. Why stop there? Let’s really go for it and start calling them Nobel laureates. “Welcome to Los Angeles, home of 80,000 Nobel Prize winners!” Take that, New York.
The transfer saga of the summer continues to roll on as Manchester United continue their pursuit of Paul Pogba from Juventus.The £100m-rated midfielder is currently on holiday in the United States with nothing expected to happen until he returns later this month.But that has not stopped the rumours from persisting, and talkSPORT brings you the latest surrounding his proposed world record move.No deadline setContrary to reports last week, Pogba’s agent Mino Raiola has not put a deadline on the deal to go through, according to the Manchester Evening News. However, United are keen to push the deal through as quickly as possible and talks are expected to intensify once the Frenchman returns from his holidays.Manchester United a step back 3 Paul Pogba is the subject of a £100m move 3 Should Juve manage to hold on to Pogba, United will turn their attentions to his France midfield partner Blaise Matuidi, claim French newspaper L’Equipe. Jose Mourinho is desperate for his fourth ‘priority’ signing, as he mentioned in his first Red Devils press conference early this month, and Matuidi is on his radar. Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri believes his side are among the four best clubs in the world at the moment, implying a move to United would be a backwards step. He told Gazzetta dello Sport: “Pogba belongs to Juve and at the end of the day he too will want to win another Scudetto and hopefully the Champions League.”Not in Juve ICC squadPogba has not been included in Juventus’ squad for their pre-season trip to Australia for the International Champions Cup. The 23-year-old is one of 13 players missing for the tournament after he was given an extended break following his exploits at Euro 2016.France team-mate as backup 3