Japan lifts evacuation order for part of disaster-hit Fukushima town

first_img Written By “In addition to building excitement across the country ahead of the Tokyo 2020 Games and promoting the Olympic values, the Olympic Torch Relay aims to demonstrate solidarity with the regions still recovering from the 2011 earthquake and tsunami,” the organisers said last month. Last Updated: 4th March, 2020 11:21 IST Japan Lifts Evacuation Order For Part Of Disaster-hit Fukushima Town Japan on Wednesday lifted an evacuation order for parts of Futaba, 1 of 2 towns where the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is located, ahead of an Olympic relay SUBSCRIBE TO US COMMENT Press Trust Of India First Published: 4th March, 2020 11:21 ISTcenter_img The Japanese government is keen to use the Olympics to showcase Fukushima’s recovery from the disaster. It intends to use the J-Village — a sport complex located about 20 kilometres (12 miles) from the nuclear plant damaged in the 2011 tsunami — as the starting point for the Japan leg of the torch relay. The Fukushima crisis itself did not directly kill anyone, but some 470,000 people were estimated to have fled their home to seek shelter in the first days of the triple earthquake-tsunami-meltdown disaster. In all, 15,899 people died and 2,529 people remain missing after the quake and tsunami.Image credits: AP Japan on Wednesday lifted an evacuation order for parts of Futaba, one of two towns where the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is located, ahead of an Olympic torch relay in the region. The whole of Futaba, formerly home to some 7,000 people, was designated a mandatory evacuation zone after a massive quake-triggered tsunami in 2011 hit the Fukushima Daiichi plant, damaging the power supply and cooling system and eventually causing a meltdown. With the lifting of the mandatory evacuation order in a northern part of the town, workers will be able to stay in the area near the main railway station.Japan lifts evacuation order But residents will not be able to return to the town immediately because of a shortage of running water and other infrastructure, a town official told AFP. “We are aiming to have the return of residents starting in the spring of 2022,” she said. The move comes after organisers of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics said Futaba has been added to the route for the Olympic torch relay, which begins on March 26. WATCH US LIVE LIVE TV FOLLOW USlast_img read more

Janet ‘Jan’ Grace is named Cowley College – Sumner campus operations officer

first_imgJanet ‘Jan’ GraceSumner Newscow report —  Janet “Jan” Grace has been named the new Cowley College – Sumner Campus operations officer. Grace will be working two days a week at the Ark City campus and will have a temporary office in Galle-Johnson Hall until the Wellington campus is built.  She will resume full time responsibilities before October 1, 2017. As the Campus Operations Officer, Grace will work with the Cowley College team, Sumner County and Wellington community to create a student-centered, community oriented campus in Wellington.  Grace has three dogs, a treeing walker coonhound and two dachshunds.  When not working, she enjoys gardening, getting together with friends, cooking, reading and water activities.  Follow us on Facebook.Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more

Carvajal adds to Madrid’s injury woes in defence

first_img Danilo, who is also a right-back, began the game at left-back due to Marcelo’s absence – the Brazilian was injured in the Clasico loss to Barcelona. He appeared to be injured in the early stages of the game, too, but he stayed on the pitch and it was Carvajal who eventually had to be taken off due to a muscle problem.  Rafa Benitez has a serious problem in defence. Since the beginning of the season there have been a number of injuries. Pepe, Danilo, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo and Carvajal have all missed games and it’s possible the Spanish coach’s favoured back four (Carvajal, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo) will all be absent against Cadiz. 29/11/2015 Both full-backs, though, were able to play for the majority of the game. In the end, Carvajal was replaced by Karim Benzema with Madrid two goals up and just five minutes left in the game against the Basque minnows.  J.A. Sanchezcenter_img Upd. at 21:11 Dani Carvajal, injured again. The Real Madrid right-back picked up another knock against Eibar and, almost certainly, will not play against Cadiz in the Copa del Rey this week – he could even miss next week’s game against Getafe at the Santiago Bernabeu.  CETlast_img read more

They’re still in

first_imgBy Melissa MeehanTWO incumbents have secured their positions in the relatively safe seats of McMillan and Flinders. Russell Broadbent and…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img